Sunday, March 6, 2011

Day Seven: Unique

This past week I've been feeling like everyone is the same. Everyone goes to the grocery store. Everyone goes to Starbucks/Caribou/other coffee shops to talk. Everyone wants to save money for college. It's like humans are corralled like cattle! I want to break out of the cookie cutter world we live in and do something different. I don't want to be typical. I want to be a smart, ethical, Christian woman, marry a smart, ethical, Christian man, and raise a smart, ethical, Christian family that does not grow up on pizza, ice cream, tv, iPods, cell phones, and instant gratification! I don't want to fall into the pattern of this world. 


I see several pairs of women sitting in this coffee shop I'm in now talking, and they all look the same. Cute hair, fancy diamond rings, talking with their hands, nodding their heads, laughing, holding their babies, etc. They're all the same. I've done it before, trust me, and I'm sure I do it still, but every person's uniqueness and individuality seems to be disappearing and meshing with everyone else's. 


Know what else is the same about everyone? Everyone lives in an instant gratification world now. If we see something we want, we take it. We put it on our credit cards so we can worry about it later. We see apple's latest technological advancement and we want it! We "need" so much more than we need. It's never ending! What is going to happen to the world in another ten years when everyone is so dependent on technology. Where has simplicity gone? Do people not realize the value of simplicity?


As Christians, we need to stand up and make it clear to the world that we have all we need in Christ alone.


"So here's what I want you to do, God helping you: Take your everyday, ordinary life—your sleeping, eating, going-to-work, and walking-around life—and place it before God as an offering. Embracing what God does for you is the best thing you can do for him. Don't become so well-adjusted to your culture that you fit into it without even thinking. Instead, fix your attention on God. You'll be changed from the inside out. Readily recognize what he wants from you, and quickly respond to it. Unlike the culture around you, always dragging you down to its level of immaturity, God brings the best out of you, develops well-formed maturity in you." Romans 12:1-2, MSG

No comments:

Post a Comment